Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Maps


Initially the idea that arose from this image was that of being lost: imagery blending together; familiar signs, road markers, telephone wires, all a blur. There's no sense of what's coming, of what's around the corner, only fragmented images of where you've been. In the end this became an image of being lost not necessarily in terms of physical location, but of a person who's trying to remember where he's been, trying to put the pieces together.

With this thought of the image being that of a memory, I took on this idea that the telephone wires were reminiscent of synapses in the brain; thousands of wires connected together. I could imagine the wires all pulling at each other, pulling the various elements in this picture together, but becoming lost in the fog.

When I began working on this image I didn't have any clear idea of what I wanted out of it, where I wanted it to go, I simply started randomly putting pieces together. In the end I find that an appropriate work method for this picture: no clear idea of where your going, or where your at, no sense of conclusion.

3 comments:

Mitch Elder said...

David,

This is a wonderful photograph. Superb craftsmanship. Truly. A work of art. I should be this good.

Autum said...

This turned out beautifully. I sort of wish the dividing line on the left was a bit more dull like the other lines, but on the other hand it makes the decision of which path to take a little easier...

Louie said...

I feel like I've been on a road almost like this, where it looks like the line painters were drunk on the job, and with the old line and new line not matching up for long stretches...