Saturday, October 11, 2008

Time to Celebrate!

My blog is no longer spam! So it's time for a celebration - sparkling cider all around. Plus a couple of pictures of two Tytonidae (Barn Owls) from early summer.


This was actually quite a creepy moment to photograph. I passed this small white church (that I've driven by hundreds of times), and saw these two wooden brown carved squirrels at the front of the church doors. At least thats what I thought I saw, it took me awhile to comprehend that they were Barn Owls. I didn't have my camera, so I went home to get it, drove back, and to my lucky surprise they were both still standing there.

I was able to get within 4 to 5 feet of them, shooting through this bush for cover to get some shots. What made this a creepy experience was one: the fact that these two owls were out in broad daylight; and two: there was this classical Beethoven music blaring from inside the church. I amusingly thought that these two were standing by the door so they could listen to the music.

Apparently these owls don't see too well during the day, which may explain why I was able to get so close, but also the outer most owl was protecting the other which seemed to be injured. An animal rescue service was called (its name escapes me), so I hope the two critters ended up okay.

No comments: